Pool Fence Landscaping IDEAS
Swipe to view slides
- This powder coated tubular steel fence is a great example of how a perimeter fence around the backyard can serve as a pool safety fence.
- This wrought iron fence shows the proper top line for approved pool safety fence. Note that the pickets do not extend beyond the top rail, which is typical for pool fencing of all kinds.
- The benefit to tubular steel or aluminum pool fencing is that it can be powder coated in virtually any color imaginable.
- Vinyl fencing can provide a clean, contemporary and affordable budget solution to swimming pool safety fencing.
- Where privacy is important, a solid pool fence can be a great solution, particularly in city yards and high density urban communities.
A beautiful sparkling swimming pool is the crowning jewel of a well landscaped yard, but it can also be a dangerous amenity if not properly fenced. Designers struggle with this important safety element because no pool fence is ever attractive. This is a no-brainer in a home with children, but in an all adult community there can be great conflict over the necessity of a fence at all. Sure, there are ways to make them look better, to help them blend into the surroundings, but it's never a good idea to skirt these codes due to the potential for life or death consequences.Pool Safety Codes
The Building Officials and Code Administrators (B.O.C.A.) outline contains safety measures for swimming pool fences. Many communities have adopted these national standards in an effort to minimize and, hopefully, eliminate accidental drowning of children. However, there may be additional local regulations as well.
A skilled designer will assess your site and your lifestyle to determine the best way to provide swimming pool safety fence. There are three basic strategies:
The perimeter fence around the yard itself can serve as a pool safety fence only if it conforms to the height and gate requirements set by the safety code.
This fence encloses the pool area leaving the rest of the yard open to general use.
This fence can be entirely removed or only partially removed for a short time allowing full access to the pool. This is a great solution for parties when the house and pool can become one larger space. It also provides pool security while the children are young. Once they are old enough, it is removed and the code requirement is then met by the perimeter fence. This fence can be designed to be reinstalled at any time in the future when there is concern for children or pets having full access to the pool.
Typical Pool Fence Regulations
*Applies to swimming pools, hot tubs and non-portable spas. Regulations may vary by state and city. Verify with local building department before constructing a fence.Pro Tips: